Monday, January 18, 2016

Three Questions


Lineage. Influences. Ideology.

As many Hispanics do, I hold several names to build up my identity. I have the Cespedes from my father (and his seven brothers and sisters) and I carry Diaz from my mother. Lineage is a difficult explanation, despite it being the least ambiguous of the three questions asked, due to roots having twists and turns in several lands for different periods of time. 
Mine were personally gnarled in Spain and Italy for quite some time before traveling to Peru, South America.

Where each of us stand today, our ancestries likely intertwine at some point in the past to where most people can claim to have a dash of English or a sprinkle of some other distant country. There are backgrounds that affect more than others, but I somewhat enjoy the idea of the current population being a strange hodgepodge of mixed ethnicities and cultures.

Lineage holds both our biological and personal descent, as it tells a story of how I've been brought up from a particular Peruvian line that has a love for the arts and mathematics. I have been raised in the United States, having come to North America at the young age of 2, yet still hold a deep love for my country in the South. From what information lineage is able to provide, it opens up for a tale to be told.

This brings me to next topic: influences.
Being surrounded in a largely hispanic community in Miami, Florida, I was able to avoid losing touch with my Hispanic origins. My culture remained a large part of my life through the close contact of my Brazilian and Peruvian family. I even had plenty of opportunities to continue practicing the Spanish tongue, even though it often resulted in a mixture of two, known locally as the official language that is Spanglish. Miami, a Hispanic potluck consisting of Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Argentinians among others, allowed me to feel free to be proud of where I came from and learn about other cultures openly.

I had been exposed to a plethora of influences. Ranging from the loudly opinionated political advertisements to the strong characters I would relentlessly admire on Broadway, I witnessed traits that resulted in endless mental discussions that would question my own character, decisions, and aspirations. There are far too many aspects aside from family, travels, studies, and acquaintances that have complied events to build the yet unfinished person I am today. I'm not vain enough to think that I'm an ideally perfect person, despite the efforts of my parents, but I'd like to think I've grown up well, being normally welcoming to individuals different ideas or ways of living and having an at least moderate understanding of ethics and morals.
Ideology was the most open ended question I had been asked in a while. Such a broad topic that I don't even fully comprehend where I stand deserves a somewhat ambiguous answer in reply. As an entry for a growing view on literature and a deeper understanding of the media released to man, I will say that my opinion is not the final word. My opinion in fact, is subject to change according to opposing rational explanations or varied views.

From religious upbringing to conflicting personal moral beliefs, judgement on a matter may be instant or subconscious. I believe I am in no position to police those judgements, only in a position to declare my own thoughts. As unwanted or unpleasant as they could be, I see every person has a right to speak their mind and do with information what they will (while hopefully remaining tolerant). It would be a very dull existence if everyone should agree on every subject.

This blog, or journal, will be a continuing unfolding of my own understanding of the wholly powerful forms of enjoyable or controversial literature that art has provided.

My name is Nicole Cespedes, and I hope you enjoy my unbounded ponderings.

No comments:

Post a Comment